Thursday, December 16, 2010

Racist

We are all racist whether we mean to be or not. When you see someone, you automatically notice and make judgements on about 11 things within 30 seconds. The color of their skin is one thing. And then without thinking, you will judge them and stereotype them unconsciously. In class this week, we watched the movie Crash. This movie was made to show people just how racist most of America is. This movie incorporates many of the large race groups in America today. They all judge other races that are present here. And they all fit the stereotype for the "race" that they are. It was so sad to watch as these people acted how they did to people with a different look than they have. The judgements were very harsh and hurtful. I know that some of this was exaggerated, but knowing people EVERYDAY do the same thing is a hard thing to think about.
This movie has summed up so much of what we have talked about in Sociology. Sal has been telling us all year that we need to see the larger picture. We need to think about others that need more than we do. If everyone in America would sit down and watch this movie for less than 2 hours, so much would change. People would see how wrong it is to judge someone on just their appearance. This movie is blatantly telling the public to stop and see the bigger picture in society, in people, and in the world.
This movie relates to my life because I, too, judge people. I think that is something that will never change in most peoples' lives. You can't just stop judging people. But this movie made me so much more aware of the harm it can have. Since taking this class, I have tried a lot harder to see the bigger picture. I have tried to not look at people for the color of their skin but what is really inside. And I think that is the most important thing in a society such as ours. So next time, try and stop yourself from judging before you know someone.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it's super hard to not unconsciously judge people, but I think that after taking this class, all of us will be a little better at it :D

    ReplyDelete