Could you imagine living a life of poverty? Working a minnimum wage job and having a family? I can't even imagine that. We live in completely different lives than lower class families. In class, we watched 30 Days where Morgan lives for 30 days making minnimum wage. The minnimum wage is currently $8.25 I believe. Most working students at our school make more than $8.25 and we are only in high school! And how fast does that pay check go? FAST! At least if you are like me. There is a whole nother side to the world that people in our area don't always realize exists. Many families by us are in the top 10 percent of the United States. There are people that aren't making even a fraction of what some families here make!
This relates way back to one of the first weeks of school with having a sociological imagination. We need to be able to see that there are other parts of life, not just what we live. This class has made me realize how lucky I am to have been born into the family I have been. It's luck of the draw. Like when we played Monopoly; there is no way to choose who you are...it's a roll of the dice and you're stuck there for probably most of your life.
This idea relates to my life because of my parents. They were the difference in this social class phenomenon. They were born into lower class families without college education. Both put themselves through college and broke the norm. They can imagine what it was like to live in the minnimum wage families. It's hard for me to grasp what else is out there. It makes me wonder what I can do to help everyone else. There is so much more out there than we realize.
"We need to be able to see that there are other parts of life, not just what we live." I totally agree with you on this. We need to know that there are others out there that are living in a hell hole more than we are. We complain about our lives sometimes too but we are lucky we aren't in others positions like making a living off of minimum wage.
ReplyDelete