Thursday, December 9, 2010

It Doesn't Even Exist!

RACE DOESN'T REALLY EXIST! Did you know that the first thing we see when we first meet people is their sex and their race. So we notice the color of their skin. And then we start judging them before the first words can even come out of their mouths. This week in Soc we have been talking about how race is a socially made up concept. There is nothing different in my blood being white than a different person being black or hispanic or asian. Nothing really sets us apart except for the area of the world that we are from. So what are we really looking at? Do I become "black" when I am super tan in the summer? How do I pass as white? What is so different about me? Simple answer...my family is from Europe, so I have lighter skin than someone from Africa.
So this is related to sociology because people aren't seeing the bigger picture in everyone. I wish people could break past seeing color and see the real person inside. I try to do this everyday. I want to know people for who they really are, and I want people to do the same when they see me. Would you want to be judged based on your appearance and not the real you? Personally I think everyone should have the chance to be themselves before they are judged.
This realtes to my life because of a friendship I had a long time ago. My best friend growing up until she moved in 2nd grade was black. When we are young we don't look at the color of someone's skin. This is what we need to do now! See the real person! So I didn't judge her or expect something different, I just wanted to be friends. Why can't this always be the case? Let's try and see people INSIDE before we judge their outsides!

No comments:

Post a Comment