Thursday, October 21, 2010
Don't Judge Me!
Today we were exposed to the bad portrayals of women in the media. This media portrayal is hurting women, even if they don't realize it. A lot of girls are choosing eating disorders now, even if they don't realize it. They may eat less just to get that "perfect body" that they see on television or on billboards. IT'S NOT REAL!! THEY'RE AIRBRUSHED! I wish all girls would realize that! It bothers me that I know so many girls that idolize the models in the media. I have known people to stop eating so they can get the best body for a dance, or for summer. So eating part of the year is okay? I disagree. The media is making people feel like it is okay to judge how people look. What matters is on the inside. I wish everyone were like Hal in the movie Shallow Hal. He was one of the most shallow people, and he got a "curse" put on him to see inner beauty. He ended up falling in love with a girl that was not a model, or someone that a lot of people would look at. He fell in love with a girl that people would jump the gun to judge. I thought this movie was amazing; I wish all people could see it for what it is worth. Again: what matters most is on the inside!!! The media needs to start understanding this so that women (and men) will stop being portrayed in the fake way that they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Shallow Hal was a hilarious movie! Just throwing that out there. It does make a lot of good points about it being what's on the inside that counts. I think the fact that movies like this are being made shows that our society, or at least parts of it, realizes that there's a problem with the way media portrays people.
ReplyDeleteI think guys just don't understand how effective the images in the media really are. Thinking about the discussion in class today, there was a heated debate between the guys and girls about why women idolize the images. It's not really our fault, we have been raised in a society where we look at pictures and judge based on beauty. I'm not saying I'm proud of this trait, but I can't exactly help it. It's the way my brain was programed to think as I was growing up.
ReplyDeleteI think its funny how easy it is for girls (and boys) to actually idolize these adds. Where dose it say that you have to look like a model? How come, when people see malnourished kids from Africa, they feel bad but they look at a fake anorexic model and worship her? Society blinds us from the true beauty of life. Also, Shallow Hal is hilarious.
ReplyDelete