Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tuesdays With Morrie

In class, we watched the movie Tuesdays With Morrie. This is one of the most touching movies that I have ever seen. It's about a sociology professor that was recently diagnosed with ALS. This was a man that was very independent and did everything on his own. When he was diagnosed, he lost most of his independence. Near the end, he was dependednt on people for everything. This was so devistating to watch, because the man was such an independednt, free spirited man.

In America, dependancy is frowned upon. People are focused on fast paced independence. The sociology in this is a huge part of our culture. In other countries, dependancy is a must. I don't like that in America dependency looks like a weakness. Other countries think of independence as a sign of weekness because you cannot work well with others. I think it is really cool to think of the differences that the different countries have.

Personally, I am a very dependent person. I always have to be around people; I absolutely hate being alone. And I refuse to make major decisions without input from several people. So do I look weak and hopeless to other Americans? I hope not...but I really don't care. As long as I am happy, that's what really matters. I think thats how we all need to live our lives!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that in America, dependency is almost a way of showing weakness. It shouldn't be this way. It doesn't always show weakness. I am both a dependent and independent person..depending on the situation

    ReplyDelete