Thursday, October 28, 2010

Let's Be Real!

Why is it that everyone has to try to be someone they're not? Both girls and guys. Girls have to be picture perfect, skinny, big boobs, big butt, bleach blonde hair, and have that misterious look. Guys have to be tough, built, have abs and biceps, and can't show emotion about anything. This is based a lot on the media and how people are portrayed. It is rare to see a normal size girl on the cover of a magazine. It is just as rare to see a guy crying or expressing his emotions in a movie.
I agree with Sal and other sociologists that this has to stop. I don't want to have to be a size 00 to fit in. I don't want to date a guy that only fights and is a "tough guy". What matters most is what is on the inside!
This relates to my life beacause of two young girls that I know. One of them is a normal size girl; some may even call her a little heavy; she's 9. Her mom has a huge problem with her being a little round and not perfectly skinny. She is taking her to a doctor to see if she has a hormone inbalance. Her sister is 11 and is a stick. She is proud of that. They only wear name brand clothes because that's how they think they fit in. Why do little kids have to be affected so young?! This reminds me of Taylor Swift's new song:

Oh, darling don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up
It can stay this simple

And no one's ever burned you
Nothing's ever left you scarred
And even though you want to
Just try to never grow up

Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room
Memorize what it sounded like when your dad get's home
Remember the footsteps, remember the words said
And all you're little brothers favorite songs
I just realized everything I had is someday gonna be gone
If  only everyone could stay young and not have to deal with the harms of society.

Random note: When I was opening the song lyrics, I had a pop up...it was an advertisement. "Lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks!" Really? IT'S EVERYWHERE! Why can't we have normal size people in this world?

No comments:

Post a Comment