We read an article this week about how a child was left on the street in their stroller while the parents were eating in the resturaunt. Thiw was unacceptable in America, but in their home country, it was perfectly normal. This shows the culture differences in the world. We, especially in America, are very close minded to other cultures and ideas. When thinking sociologically, we shouldn't do that. We should see the big picture, and why that should be good. It is good for children to get fresh air, so leaving them outside should be harmless. But in America, the fast paced life outside would not be safe for a child.
This is similar to when I went to Japan. When I was there, the different culture struck me drastically. Seeing vending machines for everything and ANYTHING freaked me out a little bit. I was somewhat uncomfortable with cigarette and alcohol vending machines. I now know that things like that are considered normal in different parts of the world. Thinking socioligically, I appreciate the different cultures. If everyone were the same, the world would be boring!
I think it's so weird that there were cigarette and alcohol vending machines, but I wouldn't judge people for using them in Japan because it is normal over there. We need to start accepting other cultures and the way they work. Americans can be way too closed-minded and I hate what happened to that mother in the article because in her culture, she wasn't doing anything wrong.
ReplyDelete