Sunday, September 12, 2010

Complex Me

I belong to many groups: many that I choose to be a part of, many that I don't choose to be a part of, and m any that I don't know I'm a part of. I'm a sister and a daughter. I'm a student. I'm a lifeguard and a babysitter. I'm a C.A.R. member and an officer. I'm a friend and a leader. And the list goes on. Everyone's list goes on. The groups that we are a part of make us the people that we are.

In class, Sal had us make a list of things we are a part of, and titles that we hold in that group. Then he had us pick one that is the most important. The most important one to me would be C.A.R. state first VP and national membership chairman. These are important to me even though most people don't know anything about it. I can try to explain it, but most people still don't get it. But it is still something that is such a HUGE part of me that I believe it is one of the most important. The other important title that I chose was Friend. Friends are one of the most important things in my life. Being a good friend is something that I strive for everyday. This is a title that I hope is seen a lot.

The importance of this to sociology would be that we are all a part of many different groups. The groups and titles that we hold can help sociologists know why we do things the way we do. If a sociologist were to give us a survey with the answers A B C D E, knowing the groups that I am in can help them determine why I chose a certain answer. Many of us may think that the groups aren't important, it's just things that we do, but the things that we do shape us into the people we are. And because of the people we are, we make the decisions that we do.

Thinking about the groups that people are in, we must all be connected in some way. Right? So we are connected to people that we don't know and may never know? I think so! Another socioloigist thought. Everyone is connected. How are we connected?

1 comment:

  1. i agree with your saying how everyones connected. Cause we really are, one way or another.

    ReplyDelete