On the first day of school, class was start in silence. Some may question this. Silence? Why? Many students thought it was an awkward experience because the teacher didn't get up right away and just start talking. Are we supposed to just sit here? Did I walk in too late and not hear what we are supposed to do? Should we talk and get to know our neighbors? Should we be completely silent too? Most students sat there a little confused and looked around at everyone else. Some made comments or asked questions. We reacted this way because of the school environment that we have grown up in. We are "trained", for lack of a better word, to sit there on the first day of class and listen to the teacher speak about rules, lessons, grades, etc. Looking at the bigger picture, I realized what was happening. I realized that, even though I don't know exactly what it is, it was something to do with sociology and I should just wait it out. I am proud to know that I saw the basis of sociology before the class even started!
This makes me wonder if EVERYONE in the class was thinking somewhat sociologically? As in reading about Roseto, he had the basis of something that turned out to be completely wrong. So because everyone in the class was thinking of teacher approaches to school, does it mean that everyone was thinking sociologically? I think that could be a possibility. Especially because they are thinking about how the first day is "supposed" to be. So I think that everyone has some knowledge of sociology in them, maybe without even knowing it.
I think a similar example of this is me waking up every morning and saying "Good morning" to who ever is up, and then letting the dogs out. I don't know what the dogs are thinking, but knowing animals, I figure they need to go outside. I have also been trained to do this by my parents but also by the world around me. I am also trained to greet people that I know, and my elders/superiors. We don't think of it as being "trained" but we must be, or we wouldn't do some things. So in a way, we all know more about sociology than we may think. I believe that this class will do a lot of showing us of our current knowledge, and hopefully unlocking knowledge that we may not have yet!
Caitlin - great post! I love how you weaved the silence lesson into Roseto and then into your own life experience. Welcome!
ReplyDeleteFYI - I posted here too :-)
ReplyDelete